The Japan Anthropology Workshop (JAWS) is an international academic association concerned with furthering the field of anthropology of Japan. We welcome new members from all over the world; click the ‘Joining JAWS’ link above for more information.
JAWS holds major conferences – some in conjunction with the European Association for Japanese Studies (EAJS) – as well as smaller workshops and seminars. It runs a website and issues a newsletter. JAWS publishes selected works on Japan anthropology in partnership with Routledge.
Latest postings to the JAWS website:
- Jane Cobbi – Obituary 10th November 2020
- Urban Migrants in Rural Japan 4th August 2020
- Women Managers in Neoliberal Japan 3rd August 2020
- Family-Run Universities in Japan 3rd August 2020
- Masculinity and Body Weight in Japan: Grappling with Metabolic Syndrome 5th June 2020
- Yoshida Teigo (1923-2018) Obituary 1st June 2020
- ‘Understanding Japanese Society’ – 5th Ed. now available 28th May 2020
- Upcoming 30th JAWS conference postponed! 6th April 2020
- Japan’s New Ruralities: Coping with Decline in the Periphery 2nd April 2020
- Conference Report – JAWS 2019 at Aarhus University 2nd April 2020